A pencil skirt rocks!, but there is always the risk of looking formal and uptight. So if official is not your thing, you can still relax your style in a pencil skirt by pairing it with a cute and chic shirt.
We’ve realized that there is no end to the variety of blouses, shirts, and tops that can help you bring out a formal, business-casual, and even laid-back or party style with tight skirts.
From our tests and customer reviews, we’ve concluded that LYANER Women’s Collar V Neck Blouse is a must-have for its classic irregular hem, Astylish Womens V Neck Striped Roll up Sleeve Button Down Blouse is an elegant boyish shirt that you can dress up or down, and SheIn Women’s Short Sleeve Collar Drop Shoulder Crop Top is the best for some streetwear style.
When you click on the links here and better your life with a cute shirt that can go with pencil skirts, we’ll earn a small commission at absolutely no extra cost to you.
Editors’ Choice of the Best Shirts to Wear with Pencil Skirts
65% Cotton, 35% Polyester
95% Polyester, 5% Spandex
Best for dressing up and down
93% Modal, 7% Spandex
Sheer but can still be styled as semi-formal
Best for concealing a tummy
95% Polyester, 5% Spandex
Best for streetwear freedom
10 Cute Shirts that Go with Pencil Skirts
Casual Shirts and Blouses
1. LYANER Women’s Collar V Neck Button Front Long Sleeve Slit Hem Blouse
This V-neck blouse with an asymmetrical is all you need for a business-casual look. It shows a little bit of cleavage but it still has that clean polished look that you get from a classy and flattering sexy shirt.
You can wear this attractive shirt with your pencil skirt and choose to either tuck in or free the split front and back hems. If you are wearing a high waist pencil skirt, this is a perfect choice for looking chic, stylish, and sexy.
Apart from wearing it with your pencil skirt, you can dress it down with your jeans or shorts. It is a three-quarter-sleeved shirt so it gives you a semi-formal look.
Material: 65% Cotton, 35% Polyester
- Versatile shirt for a formal or casual look
- A long split hem that you can tuck in
- Simple design and solid color for easy styling
- Ideal for all women, young to aged
- The deep cleavage might not be ideal for everyone
2. SweatyRocks Women’s Chiffon Sexy Leopard V-Neck Long Sleeve Blouse Shirt
If you are tired of the boring square-shaped and solid color shirts, SweatyRocks is an exciting variety.
It is 100% polyester chiffon so it drapes well on your body. You can get it in different prints depending on your preference and the best thing is that you can dress it up or down.
When wearing it with a pencil skirt, you can tuck it since it’s long enough to stay in place. It is the best shirt to wear with a high waist pencil skirt that’s plain colored. Since it’s a button-down shirt, you can close all the buttons to the neck or leave out some buttons open for an easy style.
“…The sleeves were long enough, the material was not see through, the shirt itself was long enough, buttons all the way up, and is comfortable. Only thing that was a little weird was the ever-so-slightly poofiness at the shoulders. But it’s not all that noticeable and it doesn’t look bad at all. I just didn’t expect it. Looks great by itself with jeans, tucked into a black skirt , worn underneath a black sweater as an accent… it’s overall exactly what I was looking for! :)”- Lizzy
Material: 100% Polyester Chiffon
- Beautiful polyester material that drapes well on the skin
- Beautiful and interesting prints
- Long enough to tuck into your pencil skirt
- Versatile to wear for a semi-formal or casual look
- You need to size up if you have a big bust
Best Shirts for Dressing Up and Down
3. Astylish Women’s V Neck Striped Roll up Sleeve Button Down Blouse Top
This blouse is the perfect choice for a boyish and easy-going style.
It has vertical stripes so if you are looking for something to give you a slimmer and taller look, you need to get this shirt to wear with pencil skirts.
The shirt is button-down with a v-neck so you can wear it to work or for casual looks. It is long enough to tuck in so if you are wearing a high waist pencil skirt, go for plain skirts. The polyester fabric does not crease and stays looking good for a long time.
“I love this blouse. Can fit in a casual or formal outfit. Looks great with jeans, dress slacks, or a skirt. Wrinkle-free , quick staple for me.”-Jules P.
“This blouse is beautiful. The cut and fit is right on. The fabric feels like silk and I’m absolutely thrilled with it. I actually ordered another one in a different color scheme today. It can be worn with jeans or a skirt. Add a blazer and you have a perfect look.”-Rhodre
Material: 95% Polyester, 5% Spandex
- Vertical stripes help to appear slimmer and taller
- Long enough to tuck in
- Button-down shirt for versatile styling
- Polyester fabric for easy care
- You might need to order a size up to achieve a loose fitting
4. Romwe Ladies’ Elegant Printed Stand Collar Long Sleeve Workwear Blouse
If you are looking for a modest shirt to pair with your tight-fitting skirt, this is a good choice.
The shirt has a round neck and a standing collar so it covers the entire neck. It has a button at the back to make wearing and removing it easy.
You can pair it with your high waist midi skirt for work and create a formal look. It also has long sleeves so you do not have to worry about adding a blazer. You can choose a loose-fitting size so that it’s easy to tuck in your skirt.
“Love this top. I wore it to a Christmas party tucked into a pencil skirt and it was perfect! Fit great! ”- Stephanie McHargue
Material: 97% Polyester, 3% Spandex
- Modest shirt for work or after-work dinner
- Easy to style with a pencil skirt
- Loose fitting design
- Unique standing collar design
- You need to order a 1 or 2 larger for a looser fit
Best Work Shirts for Women
5. Alex Vando Women’s Dress Shirts Regular Fit Long Sleeve Stretch Work Shirt
This had to be top in our review of cute shirts that go with pencil skirts because it’s a crisp blouse that you can pair with your business skirt suit. It looks exactly like the classic men’s shirt so if you are looking for the classic button-down look, this is a perfect choice.
You can get it in all the common solid colors but you can also find one with prints. It is a long sleeve shirt but it has cuffs that can be folded to match your style. This is a cotton shirt so it is breathable and absorbable during the hot months.
You can tuck it in your pencil skirt or even wear it under your blazer or suit jacket.
“This shirt is made of a nice material. It conforms well to one’s shape. It is already nicely shaped and goes well with everything from jeans to business skirts and pants. It is a wardrobe essential for sure. The pink color is beautiful.”- Marla
“Purchased this to go with a black and white pencil skirt, for professional headshots . I absolutely loved it! It fit perfectly. I’m 6’1 so it’s usually hard to find shirts where the sleeves come all the way down…”- Saundra Mortgage Lender DC
Material: 97% Cotton, 3% Spandex
- Comfortable, professional, and attractive fabric
- Classic button-down style
- Ideal for work wear and formal looks
- Tailored and well designed
- Ironing needed to achieve a crisp look
6. Beninos Female Formal Work Wear White Simple Shirt
This button-down cute shirt is specifically designed for women although it looks like a male shirt.
It is meant to match the feminine curves including the bust area. You can get it in a solid color so it will match any pencil skirt design that you have.
If you want to wear it for work, you can easily pair it with a high waist skirt or pants and tuck it in. With its button closures up to the neck, you can decide to dress it up during office hours or dress it down for evenings. The blouse is made from a blend of cotton and polyester so it does not crease like pure cotton shirts.
Material: 65% Polyester, 35% Cotton
- Does not crease like pure cotton shirts
- Button-down shirt specifically made for women
- Versatile to style up or down
- Easy to pair with a high waist pencil skirt
- Not as crisp as a pure cotton shirt
7. Linkie Junkie Women Long Sleeve Sheer Top See Through Button Up & Down Casual Shirt
This woven polyester shirt almost looks like lingerie. It has a sexy look but still can be dressed up to get a semi-formal look.
The sheer fabric is perfect if you want to show some skin. You can pair it with a pencil skirt by tucking it in your high-rise skirt. But it’s also stylish to wear without tucking in. You can get it in a variety of solid shades and match it with different bra colors.
This see-through top is ideal for summertime since it is lightweight and fun to wear outdoors.
Material: 100% Polyester
- Sexy-looking top for casual wear
- Lightweight for hot weather
- Simple and practical design
- Easy to style with a pencil skirt or other clothes
- Can be worn as lingerie
- The buttons could have been better
8. KMBANGI Women’s Y2K Vintage Button Down Shirt Blouse, with Solid Flare Sleeves
If you’re wondering what to wear with pencil skirt, this is a sexy see-through shirt that you can pair with all your tube skirts.
Its flared sleeves and pleated fabrics make it unique and vintage. If you are going to match it with your tight skirt, there are various ways to style it. You can turn it into a crop top by folding and knotting the bottom part or wear it as it is. Since it’s a sheer shirt, ensure that you choose a stylish bra.
This shirt is ideal for a casual look but you can pair it with a camisole for a more modest look.
- Sexy see-through shirt for casual wear
- Unique retro design with pleated fabric and fishtail sleeves
- Versatile to fit different style preferences
- Form-fitting style for most body types
- Might not be ideal for girls with a big bust
Best Tops for Pencil Skirts
9. Zeagoo Women’s V-Neck Twist Hem Blouse Long Sleeve Crop Top
This cropped top is ideal for pairing with a high rise bottom. The collar area has the look of a shirt or blouse but the twisted hem is as girly as it comes. The crop top will help relax the look of a pencil skirt that is too formal.
The buttons make it versatile to style it depending on the occasion. It comes in solid colors so you can easily pair it with different jeans, pants, and skirts. If you are going to wear it with a pencil skirt, make sure that you choose a high-waist one.
Material: 100% Polyester
- Cute and chic crop top with button-down shirt design
- Easy to style with any pencil skirt and different bottoms
- Comes in versatile solid colors
- Smooth material that feels good on the skin
- The knot at the bottom might make it difficult to fit a belly pooch
10. SheIn Women’s Short Sleeve Collar Drop Shoulder Crop Top Graphic Button Down Shirt
If you are looking for a shirt that gives you a young and vibrant vibe, this is the right one to choose. It looks like a shirt but it has a crop top design.
With a button-down design, you can choose to keep the buttons open or closed. When wearing it with a high waist pencil skirt, it’s easy to style. And you can choose from the different vibrant prints if you are looking for a streetwear look. Pairing it with jeans or a denim pencil skirt is the best way.
“It’s great with a pair of jeans or a simple dress. Definitely something you could dress up or down . Great material, thin but still good quality.”- Gwen
Material: 95% Polyester, 5% Spandex
- Streetwear look and design
- Button-down design for easy styling
- Comfortable and young vibe looking
- The polyester fabric is easy to care for
- Might be too short for tall women
Tips on Styling a Pencil Skirt with Shirts
1. Tuck in your shirt
Tucking in your shirt when wearing a pencil skirt is always a good idea. A pencil skirt is meant to show your curves and you can best achieve this when you’ve tucked in your skirt. It is also a good way to balance out your overall silhouette since the shirt might be bulky.
2. Understand versatile styling
Pencil skirts are versatile. This means that you can wear a pencil skirt to the office during the day and to the club in the evening. The trick is to know how to choose the right top.
If you are going to the office, a button-down shirt will do the trick. On the other hand, if you are going out in the evening, a beautiful crop top will help you stand out. A pencil skirt will help you achieve any look depending on how you style it.
3. Experiment with different women’s shirts
The only way to know what looks good on you is to experiment your pencil skirt with different tops and accessories. There are no tight rules when it comes to fashion. Crop tops are now fashionable so do not be afraid to pair your pencil skirt with a crop top.
If you are going to wear a solid-colored skirt, then go extra with your shirt and find a colorful one. Go out of your comfort zone and try tops that you could have never worn with your pencil skirt.
4. Consider your body type
Your body type also comes into play when styling a pencil skirt with shirts. If you are trying to hide your tummy fat, you can go for a peplum top. On the other hand, if you want to show off your tiny waist, you can go for a slimming top that you can tuck in.
FAQ about Pencil Skirts
Can you wear cropped tops with pencil skirts?
Yes, you can wear cropped tops with pencil skirts. Trimmed tops are casual and they are good if you want to dress down your pencil skirts. Since most tight skirts are formal looking, adding a crop top brings an easy look.
The best thing is to go for a high waist skirt if you do not want to show skin. With a skirt that goes above the waist, you do not have to show any skin when wearing a crop top.
If rigid officewear is not your thing, you can relax your style in a pencil skirt by pairing it with a chic and stylish shirt. Some of the top choices that we’ve seen in our review of cute shirts that go with pencil skirts include LYANER Women’s Collar V Neck Blouse for its classic slit hem, Astylish Womens V Neck Striped Roll up Sleeve Button Down Blouse for a boyish shirt that you can dress up or down, and SheIn Women’s Short Sleeve Collar Drop Shoulder Crop Top is the best for some streetwear style.