Wearing a bra for the first time is a big deal for every little girl. Most girls cannot wait to own their first bra because it makes them feel grown-up and feminine. However, getting a bra for your 12-year-old might be challenging since at this stage she is probably too small to wear a normal bra.
The best bra for 12 year olds should be soft, relaxed fit, pad-less or lightly padded, and should preferably be in a sports bra or bralette design instead of buckles, and hook and eye closures.
From tests with our girls and buyer feedback, we’ve concluded that Alyce Intimates Girls & Teens Lightly Padded Bra is the best for a girl who wants to feel like a grown-up, Maidenform Girls’ Seamless Racerback Sports Bra is the most suitable for sports, while the Calvin Klein Girls’ Modern Cotton Bralette is the best for comfort.
Editor’s Pick for Beginner Bras for Tweens
95% Polyester, 5% Spandex
Best for a girl who wants to feel like a grown-up
96% Nylon, 4% Spandex
Best design and breathability for sports
57% Cotton, 38% Modal, 5% Spandex
Best for comfort
How to Shop for the Best Training Bras for Tweens
10 Best Bra for 12 Year Olds
Best Training Bras for Pre-teens
1. Alyce Intimates Girls & Teens Lightly Padded Bra
This bra pack is every beginner’s favorite. It comes in an assortment of six bras so your daughter will love experimenting with the different colors and prints. Since these are pre-teen bras, they have those girly accessories like a bow and come in some cute prints.
The brassieres are simple and lightly padded since they are designed for girls trying bras for the first time. However, they still have features that you will find in grown-up bras like an under-wire for extra support, so even a mature lady with small breasts will love it.
“Would give 7 stars for value! My 12 yr old daughter loves these ! Cute but not too babyish for a preteen! She loves the padding and they fit great.”- Lars
Fabric: 95% Polyester, 5% spandex
- Specifically designed for small girls and pre-teens
- Value for money – a pack of six bras
- Cute to appeal to your 12-year-olds
- Wired cups and soft underband for extra support
- Comfortable and breathable fabric
- Most suitable for beginners, might not be ideal for bigger girls
2. Popular Girls Padded Cami Training Bras for Girls with Removable Padding
These can serve as everyday or sports bras. They come in a pack of four bras with a choice of cute colors.
These bras have everything to keep your daughter comfortable and confident throughout the day. The seamless design feels good on the skin and the wirefree underband adds to the comfort. They are also versatile to wear since you can remove the breast paddings for a simple look. It is also possible to change the straps to a racer-back style.
“I was kind of skeptical buying this for my daughter online but it fits her perfectly !! She said it’s really comfortable.”- Adrian
“I bought this for my 12 year old daughter and she loves it ! She says it’s super comfortable. I wash it in the washing machine and hang dry it and still looks like new.”- Raquel Bermudez in Ijamsville MD
Material: 92% Nylon, 8% Spandex
- Versatile wearing for everyday wear or sports
- Value for money – four training bras in different colors
- Comfortable – seamless design and no under-wire
- Versatile design – remove paddings and adjust straps
- The padding is a little square instead of full cup size, but it feels light
3. MIK-QUE Girls Seamless Adjustable Training Bras for 8-10, 10-12, 12-14-year-olds
Pre-teen girls need bras that are comfortable and easy to wear, and that’s what these pull-over training bras provide. Unlike other bras, they do not have buckles and hooks that might cause discomfort and make wearing the bras a hassle.
These can serve as everyday wear bras but they’ll also be breathable and comfy during physical education (PE) time. The bras come in a simple design without an under-wire so they are the best for comfort. If your daughter is a beginner, she will love the soft fabric and beautiful colors.
“My 12-year-old daughter loves these. Once firmly committed to sports bras only, she saw a friend wear a “triangle” bra and was willing to try it. This is a nice mix of easy pull-on (no hooks yet) and the “fancier” triangle bra.”- J. Green
Fabric: 98% Polyamide, 2% Other Fibers
- Comfortable – soft fabric, wireless cups
- Easy to wear – pullover design, no buckles, and no hooks
- Multiple uses – everyday bra and sports bra
- Value for money – four differently colored bras
- Many 12 year olds have found the size a bit smaller, so you may consider ordering a size up
Best Girls’ Sports Bras
You may need a sports bra for protection during playtime.
4. Maidenform Girls’ Seamless Racerback Sports Bra
Sports bras are the best for pre-teens as well as teens. They are comfortable and can be worn as everyday bras or during sports. This Maidenform bra comes in a comfortable racerback design so it’s easy to wear no matter the occasion.
It is also lightly padded so your daughter will feel comfortable and secure with this bra. If your daughter likes sports, dancing, and so on, she will love this comfortable bra since it has a mesh design to keep her body cool.
“This is perfect for your 11-12 year old that needs some support. It is a fun, cool color and it offers the comfort of a sports bra, which is way cooler than a white, traditional bra.”– Denise Whitcome
Fabric: 96% Nylon, 4% Spandex
- Sports and everyday bra
- Easy to wear racerback style
- Lightly padded and mesh design for comfort
- Has a sporty design for an active child
5. Fruit of the Loom Big Girls’ Cotton Built-Up Stretch Sports Bra
Cotton bras are the best for sports and everyday wear. These bras come in a pack of three with assorted colors to select from.
They are easy to wear with no buckles or hooks so they are ideal for little girls and pre-teens. The bras do not have padding but they come in two-ply for some coverage. For beginners, these bras for 12 year olds have all the comfort features that your daughter would love like wide straps for support and breathable fabric.
Fabric: 95% Cotton, 5% Spandex
- Adaptable, from sports to everyday wear
- Value pack of three bras
- Easy to wear with no buckles
- Comfortable fabric and design
- No padding
6. Nike Older Kids’ (Girls’) Sports Bra
Nike is known for designing world-class sportswear and they do not disappoint with this bra. It is a high-quality bra even though it’s a little pricier compared to the other kids’ sports bras.
However, with this bra, you get value for your money since it is made of high-quality polyester fabric. The bra comes in a classic racerback style with wide straps ideal for sportswear. It’s also in classic colors of black, white, or gray.
Material: 82% Polyester
- Made by a reputable company with guaranteed quality
- Classic and comfortable racerback design
- Dri-FIT technology wicks sweat away during sports
- No complaints
Best Bandeau Bras for Tweens
7. Kurve Girl’s Bandeau Tube Bra with UV Protective Fabric UPF50+, Made in USA
A strapless bra is a good choice for teens and pre-teens. This Bandeau bra is versatile so you can use it as an everyday bra, sports bra, or even as a bralette.
The lack of straps and simple design makes it very easy to wear even for beginners. Your daughter can wear this puberty bra outdoors during summer or for swimming since it is made from a UV-protected fabric. For maximum comfort, the bra is seamless and also does not have any padding.
Material: 92% Nylon, 8% Spandex
- Versatile uses – everyday bra, sports bra, and outdoor use
- Simple design for easy wearing
- Comfortable –seamless and no padding
- Comes in a set or single design so easy to choose
- Might not hold up for very small girls
Best Girls’ Camisoles with Built-in Bras
8. Hanes Little Girls’ Cami with Shelf Bra (Pack of 3)
Camisoles with built-in bras are the perfect choice for beginners. If your girl has never tried a bra before, wearing a camisole is a good place to start.
These Hanes camisoles come in a pack of 3 to give you more value for money. They are also adjustable so they will fit your daughter as she grows. The camisoles are made from a blend of cotton and spandex so they are comfortable and still have the right stretch.
“Love the little bit of blousing at the top! This helps with my 10 year old daughter who is self-conscious about her development. Fits great!”– Brad Williams
Material: 95% Cotton, 5% Spandex
- Camisole and bra combo ideal for beginners
- Value for money – pack of 3
- Adjustable to fit a growing bust
- Comfortable – stretchable but absorbent
Best Bralettes for Girls
9. Calvin Klein Girls’ Modern Cotton Bralette
Calvin Klein is known for designing some of the best innerwear on the market and they have not disappointed with this best bralette for 12 year olds. These bralettes come in a pack of two and a wide variety of colors.
The bras are designed more like sports bras so they are comfortable and easy to wear. They are also absorbent since they are made from a breathable cotton fabric. The bras have everything to keep girls in puberty comfortable since they do not have an under-wire or padding.
Fabric: 57% Cotton, 38% Modal, 5% Spandex
- Made by a reputable company so guaranteed quality
- Value for money – two pack
- Classic racerback and sports design
- Comfortable – breathable fabric and no under-wire
- You may need to order a size up for a more comfy fit
10. Hanes Girls’ Big ComfortFlex Seamless Bralette 2-Pack
This bralette pack is made for comfort and ease of use. You get a pack of 2 bralettes with colors of your choice. If your daughter wants to try out grown-up bras, this is a good place to start.
They have everything you get from normal bras but they are comfy. The seamless design and lack of padding or underwires make this bra very comfortable.
Fabric: 95% Nylon, 5% Spandex
- Made for comfort – no under-wires or padding
- The design of grown-up bras
- Easy to wear with no hooks
- Adjustable straps
- No padding
FAQs on What is the Best Bra for 12 Year Olds
At what age should girls start wearing bras?
There is no definite age for girls to start wearing bras. However, some girls wear their first bra as young as 8 years or later into their pre-teens at around 11 years. You will also know when your daughter is ready to wear her first bra because she will likely ask for it. If your daughter insists on getting a bra, it is time to get her one.
Are sports bras better for beginners?
Sports bras are better for beginners for many reasons. They are comfortable and easy to wear, unlike normal bras that have hooks, latches, and underwires. If you are looking for a sports bra, a racerback design is the best choice.
Your daughter will appreciate the pullover design that is easy to wear. Sports bras have wide straps and the lack of padding is also good for extra comfort. If your daughter has never tried a bra before, start with a sports or cami bra before you try out other designs and options.
Most girls start wearing bras in the tween age of 8-12 but they cannot be comfortable in the complicated or restrictive bras worn by women. What is the best bra for 12 year olds? We’ve seen that the best bras for tweens should be soft, relaxed fit, pad-less or lightly padded, and should be in a sports bra design instead of buckles, and hook and eye closures.
From tests with our girls and the customer reviews, we’ve concluded that Alyce Intimates Girls & Teens Lightly Padded Bra is the best for a girl who wants to feel like a grown-up, Maidenform Girls’ Seamless Racerback Sports Bra is the most suitable for sports, while the Calvin Klein Girls’ Modern Cotton Bralette is the best for comfort.