Toned butt and thighs are the ultimate goals of every fitness enthusiast. It shows that you have been working hard and the gains are showing. Fortunately, you do not have to be obsessed with the gym to achieve beautiful gams and a lifted butt.
With simple workout exercises, you can attain the body of a goddess. All you have to do is to start small and practice consistently. Here are some simple exercises you can do to grow your buttock and thigh muscles.
Here is the Table of Contents
8 Best Exercises for Buttocks and Thighs
1. Weighted squats using kettlebell, barbell, or dumbbell
Squatting is one of the best exercises for a toned butt because you can do it in confined spaces anywhere, and not necessarily in an equipped gym. If you want to tighten your glutes, quads, and hamstrings, weighted squats are useful. It is advisable to do at least three rounds with 15 reps each when starting. With time you can increase the number of reps and also the weights.
How to do weighted squats at home:
– Hold a 15 to 20-pound weight such as a kettlebell or dumbbell in front of you and stand straight with your feet at 2 feet or shoulder width apart.
– Slowly lower your body until your thighs are parallel to the floor (at which point your elbows will touch your knees)
– Rise up to the starting position and repeat 15 times
Using weights when doing the squats is important because it increases resistance and you can attain your fitness goals faster. If you are consistent with squats and you keep increasing the number of reps and the weight limit, you should see results within five weeks.
2. Bent leg kickbacks
Bent leg kickbacks can be very effective for growing your booty and thigh muscles. They work on the biggest glute muscle so you can be sure that they will tone your bum. Apart from working on the glutes, they activate the back hamstrings which are important for keeping you fit, shapely, and balanced.
Bent leg kickbacks are a form of low-impact exercise. Even if you are a beginner you will still enjoy working on your glutes. Before you go to advanced glute exercises, you can try the bent knee glute kickback.
How to do bent leg kickbacks:
– Position your body into a tabletop position with your knees and elbows on the ground.
– Lift and straighten one of your legs backward, like you’re kicking into the air.
– Lower the leg back and perform 20 reps before switching sides.
3. Weighted donkey kicks
If you want to look sexy in pencil skirts, bodycon dresses, and tight biker shorts, consider weighted donkey kicks. This type of exercise will strengthen your thighs (hamstrings and quads) and glutes. It is an effective exercise and you should results within a few weeks.
How to do weighted donkey kicks:
– Support yourself on your knees and arms and place a 5–pound dumbbell at the back of your right knee.
– Hold the weight in position and lift the leg into a donkey kick.
– Complete 10 reps and switch to the left leg.
4. Resistance band knee opener
Using resistance bands can be effective when starting your fitness journey. This is a low-impact exercise and you might not see the results overnight. However, it is an effective way to gradually sculpt your gluteus muscles.
How to do a resistance band butt workout:
– Place the Beachbody Resistance Band around your lower thighs.
– Lie on your left side and support yourself with your left elbow.
– Place your feet together, bend your knees forward and start lifting your right knee up and down.
– Complete 20 reps and turn to the left leg.
Doing knee openers with your resistance bands will not only work on your outer glutes but also on your outer thighs. It’s also a good exercise routine for toning your upper back muscles so you will also achieve a slimmer waist in the process.
5. Mini band kick back
Doing kickbacks with a mini band can be helpful. This is a versatile form of exercise that you can do standing or kneeling. The mini band offers resistance so you can exercise your glutes effectively.
Mini band kickbacks are effective if you want to build strength before advancing to other forms of exercise. You can use mini bands anywhere so you do not have to go to the gym. Mini bands are also affordable to buy compared to many other fitness kits.
2. Glutes bridge
If you want to start exercising at home, doing glutes bridges is a good beginner exercise. You do not need any equipment apart from your yoga mat or any exercise mat. They are relatively easy to do no matter your age or fitness level.
Apart from working on your thighs and behinds, glute bridges also work on your back. Combining glute bridges with squats can help you to get a toned butt faster. Some fitness experts even argue that glute bridges are better than squats for firming your thighs and growing your butt.
How to do glute bridge:
– Lie on your back and stretch your arms by your sides.
– Raise your knees to let your heels lie flat on the ground
– Raise your booty off the ground up to the point where your thighs and torso are aligned
– Hold for 2 seconds and return to your starting position
– Complete 2 sets of 20 reps
Doing conventional deadlifts can be effective for your glutes because they also work on your hamstrings. Alongside weighted squats and bench-press, deadlift exercise is one of three powerlifting exercises. Thus it can be intimidating and might not be ideal for a beginner. The best thing is that they work on your gluteus, inner thighs, and core muscles. Thus if you want to strengthen your legs for cycling and other tough sports such as tennis, deadlift weight training is the way to go.
If you are not able to do squats, deadlifting can be a good alternative. Both exercises work on the lower body but with deadlifts, you will see the results faster.
How to do deadlifts:
– Stand straight with your feet hip-width apart
– With your knees slightly bent, stretch your arms down and bend to grip a barbell weight with your shoulders slightly ahead of the bar
– Slowly lift the weight in front of your legs until you stand upright
– Lower the weight slowly as you bend your torso and the knees at the same rate
8. Side lunge and reach
Different styles of lunges are considered the most effective when it comes to growing your glute, hamstrings, and quadriceps. When using one leg to do lunges, you are automatically offering resistance with the other leg. Lunges are effective and easy for sculpting your muscles because you only use your body weight to do the exercises.
You do not need equipment or even leave your house. There are different types of lunges but lateral lunges are the best form of exercise for buttocks and thighs.
How to do dumbbell reaching lateral lunge:
– Stand straight with your feet apart a distance slightly wider than your shoulder width.
– Hold a dumbbell with both hands closely in front of your chest
– Breathe in and take a leg-length step out to your right side
– Bend your right knee and slightly lower your body towards your right knee
– Pause for 2 seconds and breathe out as you thrust the dumbbell out in front of your chest
– Breathe in and bring the dumbbell back close to your chest
– Breathe out and return to your starting upright position
– Complete 10 reps and switch to the leg side
FAQs: Best Exercises for a Toned Butt
How many squats should I do a day?
Doing 30 to 100 squats a day is the best way to achieve results faster. If you are a beginner, 30 squats a day is a good place to start. With time you can increase the number until you can comfortably do 100 squats a day with ease.
Apart from counting the number of squats, make sure that you do them correctly. The right way to do squats is to make sure that you are not curving forward and you are not lifting your heels. Your abs should be engaged in the process.
Can sitting for long hours flatten your butt?
Sitting down for long does not flatten your butt. However, a sedentary life can affect your posture and the shape of your butt. When you sit for a long time, your hip flexors tighten making your butt appear flat. Fortunately, you can correct this by making sure that you take breaks from your chair and walk around. You can also invest in a standing work table.
Toning your butt and thighs at home or the gym is not complex science. With the right motivation to achieve your goal, you can start with easy but best exercise for buttocks and thighs such as squats, lunges, gluteus bridges, and resistance workout band kickbacks or knee opening. From there you can advance to tougher workouts such as weighted squats, dumbbell lateral lunges, and deadlift exercises.